History of Fairfax Lodge No. 43 A.F. & A.M.
Fairfax Lodge No. 43 is located in the Town of Culpeper, Virginia and Culpeper County, Virginia. When the Lodge was chartered Culpeper was Fairfax Station, which accounts for the name.
At the Grand Annual Communication on November 27, 1794, a petition from Philip Rootes Thompson, Birket Davenport, Philip Lightfoot, and others had been presented to the Grand Lodge, praying that a charter might be issued to them to work as Masons. Also a certificate from Stevensburg Lodge No. 40 accompanied it, recommending them to the Grand Lodge. The dispensation granted them on May 22, 1793, was, also returned. A charter was issued constituting a Lodge in the County of Culpeper, in the town of Fairfax, designated by the name of Fairfax Lodge No. 43 appointing the following officers:
Philip Rootes Thompson, Worshipful Master
Birket Davenport, Senior Warden
Philip Lightfoot, Junior Warden
Fairfax Lodge owns the temple in which they hold their communications. It is located in the Town of Culpeper, at 209 East Davis Street. Stevens Lodge No. 169, Fairfax Royal Arch Chapter; and Fairfax Commandery No. 25, Knights Templar also meet in this temple. The street floor is rented to a hardware store.
The Masons met in Shackefords house in the Town of Culpeper for some time before asking for a charter. It is not known if they made Masons at that time. A well-known member of this Lodge was Worshipful Robert Y. Button, Senator. He was Attorney General for Virginia for two terms. Worshipful Brother Button served one term when the Governor and Lt. Governor were also Masons.